Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Ole Tavern Sign

One of my best friends recently got married and I didn't know what gift I was going to get him until I visited him in Seattle. We went to go get fish and chips on the wharf and as we were walking we both admired the old wooden wharf signs. After seeing them I asked if he would like me to build him a wooden sign. I've never really heard anyone hanging one of those on their wall inside their house but he went with it. We decided that his families' last name would be at the top and that the symbols representing his family and the words depicting his newly formed family motto would line the bottom.

It was a fun project and I think it turned out as well as we had hoped.


Two, one-inch-thick planks of pine glued and biscuit joined. 


Here is the initial drawing and I have started to router out the mountain.


This is the final carving after routing, carving, cutting, and sanding.


Details on the final product after painting and staining it. 









The final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment